Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Panic Over Protein Shakes



Over the last couple of days, the excitement of having this weight loss surgery has been slowly fading, and instead, the panic is setting in. While there are a number of things I am nervous about (being cut open, not being able to eat normally for the rest of my life, whether or not this will actually work), right now my biggest concern seems to be the protein shakes. Starting Friday, I will have to drink three, 250 calorie protein shakes a day. The shakes, combined with a few vegetables (lettuce, cucumbers and mushrooms) will be the only food I eat for two weeks leading up to surgery. 


While I understand that there are sacrifices to be made  (and hopefully better things to come) if I am having this surgery, I can't help but worry that the next two weeks will be hell. With only two flavours to choose from (I got 6 boxes of chocolate and 3 boxes of vanilla), I am worried that I will hate the way they taste and not be able to drink, or keep them, down. Will the lack of calories be a huge shock to my system? Will I feel exhausted, sick or faint? Will I actually be able to stick with the two week program or will I find myself sneaking bits of actual food throughout the day? Will I feel ostracized from my friends and family? Will the two weeks be just a sample of what life will be like with a lap band? Can I handle this? 


This is sure to be a very 'interesting' weekend, and I will be sure to keep you updated on this part of my journey. 


xx
Alicia



6 comments:

  1. My mom had weightloss surgery last year. She's down 135lbs and she looks and feels great! She also didn't like the shakes (she had optifast), but she opted for the vanilla ones for the two weeks she had to have them. She didn't enjoy them but she found them to be bearable by mixing them with crystal light. Her favourite one is a peach tea, and it made the shakes taste like a peachy cake batter. I wish you the best of luck, and with strong will and determination you WILL be successful. Your only downfall will be yourself, so just believe that you can do it and try your best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is amazing! I will definitely remember the crystal light trick. Thank you so much for your comment. It means a lot. xx

      Delete
  2. Hey Alicia! Do you have to use a certain brand of shake? If not, I would encourage you to check Popeyes, or GNC, as there are loads of other flavours of the powdered protein. I actually love the chocolate and I make a protein smoothie every morning using soy milk, a scoop of protein powder, a package of Crystal Light (to boost flavour without adding calories) and frozen raspberries. OMG, it is delicious! The frozen berries (or ice in general) help to thicken it up and it becomes a tasty frozen treat. If you keep drinking them post-surgery, check online (especially support groups) as many folks have created recipes for these drinks using a variety of flavours. One thing frequently used is sugar-free syrups, like those used in coffee shops to create Italian sodas, or flavours your coffee. Hang in there! It will be a rough couple of weeks, but focus on the goal. It will be worth it in the end. And don't forget, you have a whole network of people supporting you, even if you don't see their faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Rebecca, I really appreciate all of your support (both here and on my other blog). The protein shakes were ordered from a company called Slim Time. I guess I will find out on Friday if they are any good. I am going to start documenting my journey (including the first time I try them) on video, so I guess everyone will see my response lol. xx

      Delete
  3. I did a juice cleanse that lasted a week... not the same however... drink lots of water.. and keep yourself busy... first day is the hardest.. keep your eye on the prize!!! and if your allowed drink lots of tea it helped me get thru it!

    _Carlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please will you let us know which protein shakes you are doing, the brand and everything? xx
    liloo/@tsunimee xx

    ReplyDelete