Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Weird Rules Explained (Well Kinda)



I sent an email to my patient co-ordinator yesterday asking a number of questions, including why some of the 'weird rules' I wrote about previously are in place. I didn't get a very lengthy explanation, but I thought I would share the email I received back from her none the less.  The main goal it seems, is not to get any sort of skin infection before surgery,  as it could cause complications when they 'cut me open'.  


My Questions



1) I know that the patient guide said no swimming in pools or hot tubs for 2 weeks prior to surgery. I am wondering why that is and if I am able to swim in the lake, or if I am not supposed to swim at all (we will be spending the next two weeks at our cottage on Lake Huron)


2) I also saw that I am not supposed to shave any part of my body 2 weeks before surgery and wondered the reason behind that.


3) I also read that you are supposed to notify the office if you have a rash, ingrown hair or pimple any time during the two weeks prior to the surgery. Why is that? I have mild acne and get a new blemish almost every day.

4) As for no tanning, do I need to stay out of the sun completely or just not go outside with the purpose of getting a tan? 


Her Responses

1) Dr. Cobourn has informed me that you are able to swim in the lake.

2) You shouldn’t shave due to the fact it could cause razor burn and ingrown hairs (open wounds) which cause risk of infection.

3) Please notify us if you have a rash or ingrown hair anywhere on your torso, for the reason explained above.

4) We do not want you to get a sunburn, again, risk of infection. You are able to go outside in the sun.


xx
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment